“Whatever is opposed to life itself, such as any type of murder, genocide, abortion, euthanasia, or willful self-destruction; whatever violates the integrity of the human person, such as mutilation, torments inflicted on body or mind, attempts to coerce the will itself; whatever insults human dignity, such as subhuman living conditions, arbitrary imprisonment, deportation, slavery, prostitution, the selling of women and children; as well as disgraceful working conditions, where people are treated as mere instruments of gain rather than as free and responsible persons; all these things and others like them are infamies indeed. They poison human society, and they do more harm to those who practice them than to those who suffer from the injury. Moreover, they are a supreme dishonor to the Creator.” [The Church in the Modern World, Vatican Council II, 1965]
Incarnation continues to seek a Respect Life Liaison to represent our parish community and help to coordinate efforts to promote and protect human life at all levels. If you feel called to learn more about the wide spectrum of life issues and want to get involved, please contact our Coordinator of Justice & Charity in the office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
. . .
Incarnation partners with the Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty organization and with the Pregnancy Centers of Central Virginia to address two of the many pro-life issues, capital punishment and abortion. Throughout the year, parishioners are invited to attend various speakers or engagements in the area such as a talk by a Death Row exoneree, the spring or fall 40 Days for Life campaign, or the annual fundraising walk for the PCCV. Ideas and leadership for this ministry that seeks to promote the life and dignity of every single human being are always welcome!
. . .
Here are some resources for learning more about Respect Life issues.
- Consistent Life Network – This organization is committed to standing up and advocating for the “seamless garment” of life issues. They nonviolently oppose war, abortion, poverty, racism, capital punishment, euthanasia, and poverty and work to build bridges that will lead to alternatives to such practices.
- Life Issues – This website is an extensive collection of articles on various life issues written from Catholic perspectives.
- No Violence. Period. – A collection of consistent life ethic articles—most of which focus on birth/abortion issues.
- Project Rachel – This Catholic organization is dedicated to providing hope and support to women who have undergone abortions.
- Rachel’s Vineyard – Healing retreats are sponsored by this organization for women who are dealing with the grief and emotions after having had an abortion. Rachel’s Vineyard also needs people to serve as prayer partners, to help with retreats, and more.
- Pax Christi – By nonviolently exploring, articulating, and witnessing to the call of Christian nonviolence, Pax Christi aims to develop individuals and communities whose faith calls them to reflection and action that transform violent or oppressive structures of society.
- United States Catholic Conference of Bishops Pro-Life Website – Here, you’ll find an abundance of resources, links, and prayers about Catholicism’s pro-life stance.